Monday, June 10, 2013

The Natural Deodorant Hunt



Hey everyone!

Summer is nearly here and you know what that means... it's time for lots of sweaty outdoor activities, sports, and fun! I figured now would be a great time to update you on my quest to find NATURAL deodorants that ACTUALLY work! In this post I will be reviewing three top natural deodorants that do not contain (as the David Suzuki Foundation has labeled them) any of the "Dirty Dozen" chemicals. For more information on these chemicals click here:

The Dirty Dozen Chemicals




The CRYSTAL deodorant stick was first recommended to me by a fellow yogi friend about two years ago.  She claimed the product really worked for her and as a regular Lady's Speed Stick user, I figured it was worth looking into given all the talk about "regular" deodorants being linked to cancer and so on. The instructions tell you to wet the stone-like stick before applying it (if you do not do this, the stick will not glide). This stick is not scented and it won't keep you from sweating (none of these products are antiperspirants so keep that in mind if you give them a try). Sadly, I did not find that this stick did much as far as reducing the smell of sweat. I constantly have to reapply this product, and I find it a little bothersome to always have to be close to a tap in order to apply it. I also find that applying this product post-workout is pretty useless. It's best to use this one before getting sweaty (not after). 2/5


I first tried this Active Life deodorant by KISS MY FACE about a month ago. The product contains no aluminum, parabens, artificial fragrance, or animal ingredients (I automatically gave this one the thumbs up). This brand comes in a variety of scents, but I personally like this one which is ambiguously labelled "Sport" (natural scent and slightly hippy). Apart from being a tad sticky when first applied, the deodorant works wonderfully for the first hour or two. BUT be warned, it does not last all day. If you are expecting to be out for an entire day, I would really recommend bringing this stick along with you (kind of annoying, I know). Unlike the CRYSTAL, this one masks scent well, and is great when applying post-workout (or in my case, post-yoga). 3/5



Finally!! I get to the good stuff! A friend of mine recommended this product to me a few weeks ago and BOY was she onto something! ROCKY MOUNTAIN SOAP COMPANY is a Canadian company focused on bringing clean and natural soaps and related products onto the market. I have blogged about their products before (and for good reason)! The back of this particular deodorant reads, "Finally, an all natural deodorant that really works." They are not lying. This is a roll-on deodorant that requires shaking prior to application. The scent is strong but it works magically (this one is called "Cypress" and it does have a definite patchouli after-scent). From the research I have conducted on the topic of natural deodorants, it seems that the common complaint is that that natural stuff just doesn't work as well as the chemical-based products. This one is different, and a fraction of the price in comparison to some other natural deodorants ($8.50). I do not find myself having to run to the washroom to reapply mid-day, and any trace of sweat is masked by the natural scents. I am very eager to try their other deodorants. Have any of you tried ROCKY MOUNTAIN SOAP CO. products? If so, do share! Also- I've heard great things about this company's deodorants for men! If any of you guys out there have given this product a try, send us an email!! 5/5



*Remember you can always look up the pros and cons of your current deodorants on the cosmetic database: EWG.org

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great article. I'm really interested in organic products because of all these amazing products and advice. Even though I'm on a budget, it's something I would like to try. Please keep posting great topics as usual. I look forward to more about health, beauty, skin, fashion, hobbies, etc. It would be great to see more videos as well. Have a great day, God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know of any natural sun blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badger, Alba, and Rocky Mountain Soap Company all have great sunscreens. Still on the hunt for natural sunblocks though :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete