Saturday, March 16, 2013

Andrea’s 10 Favorite Hair, Body and Skincare Products

By: Andrea

I wanted to share with you 10 products that I am currently obsessed with! This list is winter friendly. I have seen great results with these products (most of them are organic friendly, too)



1. CSI Amber Honey Exfoliating Scrub –I ordered this from Vitacost after reading all the rave reviews online. My skin is extremely dry and sensitive, therefore I am always skeptical when it comes to buying exfoliants as I find a lot of them tend to dry out my skin even more (causing my skin to to flake uncontrollably). I have been on the hunt for a perfect exfoliating scrub for a long time and I was particularly intrigued by this one after realizing it is made with honey (did any of you ever do honey face masks as a kid?). After looking up the scrub on the Cosmetic Database (ewg.org) and realizing it scored very well (Score: 1), I figured it was worth a shot. Boy was a pleased! This is by far the most nourishing scrub I have ever used on my face. It leaves your skin feeling polished and renewed (the same way you feel after getting a facial at a fancy spa). Oh, and this product smells fabulous… like a delicious dessert for the skin!


2. Neutrogena Rapid Clear Treatment Pads –Okay, so Vanessa got me totally hooked on these things this year! Whenever you feel a breakout brewing, these pads act like a SWAT team for your skin (they contain salicylic acid)! I try not to use this product every day because I don’t want my skin to become accustom to something that works so well in emergency situations. HIGHLY recommended if you are prone to the occasional breakout!

3. Burt’s Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme –I first tried out this hand cream last summer when I was shopping for my boyfriend’s mom who was suffering from extremely dry hands at the time. The first thing I noticed was the lovely smell! It will definitely remind you of marzipan! Secondly, I noticed that the consistency of this product was thick without the stick (yay for rhymes)!  Burt’s Bees never fails to impresses me with the quality of their products. While this jar might be a little on the expensive side considering its size, it is well worth the investment if you experience dry or chapped hands! I also use this on my elbows and knees in the winter as it absorbs so well into dry and patchy skin! 

4. 100% Pure Jojoba Oil –This is my lifeline! Especially in the winter when my skin tends to dry out, flake and break out! Jojoba oil is a fantastic liquid wax made from jojoba seeds, and can be used for many different things! I like to rub it over my face, neck and upper arms after I shower and before bed. I also rub it onto the ends of my hair to protect it from damage and splitting, pour it under the tap when I run baths, and use it as a base before putting on foundation. Unlike a lot of night creams, jojoba takes a long time to set, which keeps your skin moisturized for hours (great if you suffer from dry skin like me). Jojoba scores a 0 on ewg.org and should be a staple in everyone’s cupboard as far as I’m concerned. Also I figured I should mention that it’s pronounced ho-ho-bah… ;) 


5. Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Oil – This is another fantastic oil to use on your skin! As you can probably tell by now, I have a thing for “almond.” Weleda’s skin care line ranges from body scrubs, to facial cleansers, to a line of safe creams for babies. Make sure you check out each scent before purchasing as some of them score much higher than others on ewg.org. Weleda’s Almond Facial Oil was recommended to me on set. It’s rated a 0 on the Cosmetic Database and it’s definitely winter friendly! You only need to use a few drops at a time to get the benefits of the product.

6. Weleda Almond Soothing Facial Cream – This is my go to cream! It’s light, soothing, and nourishing all at once. It’s very basic so it works well on acne-prone skin. It helps reduce mid-day flaking and it too is winter friendly!


7. Egyptian Magic – I’ve been reading about this mysterious all-purpose skincare product for ages! At first I was deterred by the price (they can cost as much as 50.00 for a standard sized bottle). It wasn’t until I found myself in the beauty section of an organic market during a “20% off storewide” event that I finally bit the bullet and purchased this “magic” bottle. Their website states that “Egyptian Magic is an all-natural skin cream made from six of nature's most powerful moisturizing and healing ingredients” (egyptianmagic.com). When you turn the bottle around you will notice that they use a variety of very basic and nourishing ingredients (Honey, Beeswax, Olive Oil, Royal Jelly, Bee Pollen and Bee Propolis). I personally adore the results I see from beeswax-based products and Egyptian Magic is no different. The product comes in solid form and melts into your skin as you rub it in (a lot like coconut oil). My mom has seen great results from rubbing it into her cracked heels, while I have noticed a huge improvement when it comes to those patchy winter spots that creep up during the dreary season. I have also noticed this product works wonders for eczema-prone skin. I LOVE my Egyptian magic! 



8. Sa Avani Curative Skin Soothing Cream – Whenever my skin is feeling irritated, I reach for this product. It was initially recommended to me by a makeup artist on set in Vancouver so I immediately made an order through their website. The Sa Avani Skin Care line is manufactured in BC, Canada and is being raved about by actors and makeup artists alike. They pride themselves on selling products that are paraben, synthetic fragrance, sulfate, and alcohol FREE! The Curative Cream is great for people like me, who have dry but sensitive skin. Here is a link to their website should you be interested in checking out more of their products: saavani.ca

9. Moroccan Oil Treatment by MoroccanOil – My Aunt got me onto the MoroccanOil brand this Christmas! The actual oil is a godsend for anyone whose hair suffers from brittle ends that break and split easily. Since my hair is fine but curly, I only like to rub this product onto the tips of my hair after I shower to avoid looking too greasy. For people with thicker hair, you could easily rub this product all over to give your hair a lovely glow. 


10. Curl Defining Cream by MoroccanOil – This is my new OBSESSION! This is by far the best curl defining product I have EVER tried (and I’ve tried LOTS). Since I’m not very patient when it comes to hair, I generally skip the blow-drying. This cream is great for the girl on the go. I literally step out of the shower, towel dry my hair, lather and scrunch my hair using this product… and I’m good to go! As my hair air-dries, it curls into nice, naturally defined locks. Check them out online: moroccanoil.com



*To check out the score of your favorite cosmetics and skincare products, check out ewg.org  Remember- the lower the number, the cleaner the product!

12 comments:

  1. Cool. I use the jojoba oil to cleanse my face. A different brand, but same oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again thanks for all these skincare tips. I will have to check out Vitacost and get some of these products. I would like to try the tea tree oil, facial cleansers, neutrogena pads and moroccan oil. Great job Andrea and Vanessa. Give us more tips and totorials. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the skin will be as beautiful as this packaging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This økologisk hudpleje tips are amazing. Thank you so much for the tips and tutorials. I'm looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks full to share a product detail for Buy Skin Care Product
    http://www.xiconline.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is a nice comment. <a href=" www.earthsapothecary.com”> skincare products </a> environmentally responsible products . I think I need to buy all of these products!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to receive information about skin care products, services, offers and promotions from carefully selected third parties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the most used facial products, especially by teens and young adults, is acne cream and other acne medication. But do these acne creams actually work? When you’re a young adult dealing with horrible blemishes, you may say no. However, if you do a little research first, you’ll find that there are some acne creams out there that are medically proven to help combat acne and other blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog, thanks for sharing the information

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice article thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My skin suffers tremendously when I don't drink enough water. I see it from the dirt in my openings to my emptied and drooping lids. And if my nourishment is missing (not to mean I eat junk food, just not abundant vitamin-rich foods) I break out instantaneously. What goes in must originate out...let's just hope it's the good stuff approaching out. The clean good-looking skin :)skin care products for men

    ReplyDelete